Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 11 Memphis, TN to Nashville, TN

Graceland.
OK. I can check that off my list. Really it wasn't as gosh as I had expected. It was done well and interesting. I can why its such a peilgrimage for those who are big Elvis fans. Devotion has its price however, the prices are a bit steep starting with the $10 parking. The various tours range from ~$40 (the Mansion tour)  to >$60 (the everything tour). If it weren't for my senior discount and AAA...there are advantages to getting old I guess.

I got on the road sometime around 11:00 after the tour. Did I tell you that McDonald's is wifi; I'm floored how much connectivity has infiltrated all aspects of our lives.The drive was relative short ~ 4 hours. Following my intent to stay off major freeways was impossible. I tried a couple of times to get off US40 to State 70 but for what ever reason I could never make the connection. I took it as fate after a while and just did the US40 route. It wasn't very scenic, it is lined with trees on both sides with very few breaks. Not much of a picture opportunity.
Arrived in Nashville and was confronted with a major traffic jam; Oh big cities what a joy.
Downtown at sunset


 Old and New at sunset

Cooling down in Nashville
Jack', A simple place for dinner with the locals
Had a great night on Broadway, the entertainment district. Lots of saloons with live music. It was a very dead Thursday night as I was informed by one or more of the locals. Most of the bars were less then full. A bit of a disappointment I guess. 
Walked around the downtown some and to the Tennessee river.
Heading south today through Alabama to Mobil area.
Hope everyone is good and your enjoying this as much as I am.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Bob! Yes, I am really enjoying this. What an amazing trip you are taking. I hope you are holding up OK. I know that humidity can be horrible. I hope you don't melt before you make it to DC!! ;-) You know you are truly in the south when you eat a meal like pulled pork, greens & black eyed peas! Looking forward to seeing more of this wonderful country. Take care!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete