Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 9 & 10 Galveston, TX to Natchez, MS to Memphis, TN

It's been a couple of days since my last post, mostly because I been with out internet connections. I'm presently sitting in a McDonald's; who new McInternet. I got to Memphis yesterday evening, and had a great night in town, but more about that later. The weather has been tolerable in the 90's but with humidity thrown in.
I had forgotten all the little things that camping makes one deal with; bugs of one sort or another. I've covered myself in repellent but still I seem to be a choice tidbit for the little devils.
Day 9 Found me leaving Galvaston  heading along the Gulf of Mexico north out of Texas in to Louisiana.
Oils big around here. I hadn't realized how many days I had spent in Texas; it's a big state. I wouldn't mind coming back to the Gulf area it really nice under the proper conditions.  
I defiantly new when I had enter Louisiana.
I changed my initial route choosing to go through mid-LA rather then staying in the boot. This took me through Alexandria, LA. Lot of little towns to see.
Got to Natchez, MS in the early evening. Set up camp in Natchez State Park and went into town in time to catch the sun setting over the Mississippi River.
Had a great meal at the Biscuits and Blues restaurant, this is the twin to one in SF. Nice place on the River.

Day 10. Headed out to Vicksburg. MS. this was only an hours trip. Spent some time looking around and then found a local artist that I liked enough to buy one of her pieces. Having it shipped to DC; we'll decide where to hang it once Angie gets a good look at it.
Had a great time talking to the artist and looking over her images. Again hot an steamy in the traditional southern fashion.
That brings us to Memphis. It's all about the music. Had a great night on Beale St. listening to the blues; being played by some very good groups. Beale St. reminds me o f Bourbon St. in New Orleans except its clean. Starts out slow but before the end of the evening its jumping.
Had pulled pork, greens and black eyed peas for dinners at Miss. Pollly's.
The beer was cold and the music hot; what a wounderful way to spent the evening. It can't be much better I guess.
Ok. I'm now off to see Graceland. Not sure why, I'm not that big of an EP fan, but it's something to when your in Memphis.

No comments:

Post a Comment