Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 12, 13 & 14 A lot of traveling

I've finally gotten to an Internet connection and power supply all in the same place. The last couple of days I have put a lot of miles behind me. As you can see by the maps I've been through much of the south and down to the Gulf coast.
There is a lot to see and just driving though has be a great experience. Again I'm trying to travel on secondary road rather then the Interstates, sometimes this works other times, for the sake of time, its not practical.


Day 12: Left Nashville and went south to Mobile, Al. I was a long drive but scenic.
Not much to really write about; passed through Birmingham and Montgomery, didn't spend any time to speak of however. Big cities with a lot of civil rights history them. Skirted Mobile on my wave to rural campsite in Vancleve, MS; yes back in MS again.

One of the many towns I been through
Turkey anyone.
Not my camp site.
The site was one of the more interesting ones thus far. Because of the uncertainty of the storm forecasted for the Gulf area I rented a cabin for the night. It consisted of a single room with a queen and bunk beds. I got there late in the evening. As I arrived I was informed that the car was clattering and I might need to check the oil, which I did the next morning. But I did give me a night of some concern. It's unfortunate I didn't get any picture here but arriving late and leaving early under apprehension caused me to neglect my photo opportunities.



Day 13: Vancleve, MS to Dorthan, AL
Back on the Gulf of Mexico again. This time I'm drove along the coast route looking for oil. Fortunately, it's been pretty well cleaned up along the resort areas. It did seem a bit deserted. Not many soles on the beach around the noon hour. Great resorts, big massive hotels with tons of rooms most empty I think.
Very overcast because of the storm moving through. No rain but lots of wind blowing in to shore. This leg has taken me through Gulfport & Biloxi, MS, Mobile, Al, Pensacola, FL  for a frame of reference. Most of my travels were along the coastal byways.
Heading north trough AL , toward Columbus, GA.
Found this marvelous state park north of Dothon, AL. It's on a lake and maintained by the Corp of Engineers. Just beautiful. Sampled the local cuisine at the Anchor Inn. It seems that in the south everything is fried.


Day 14: Eufaula, AL to Atlanta, GA
This Morning woke to great sun rise and motor boats on the lake. This  a very beautiful camp. On the road to Atlanta. It's been an easy day on the driving front.
Atlanta is a gorgeous big city with great architecture and downtown. As of this writing I haven't walked around but have spent sometime driving around looking for a Starbuck's. I have been past CNN headquarters though; impressed?
I've gained another hour, I'm working on EST now which has shortened my day. Oh the weather report in the mid 90 but not to humid. Off to see Atlanta. Post again soon.

2 comments:

  1. When you get to North Carolina, try to get an authentic "eastern" style BBQ sandwich. They are made with chopped pulled pork, a vinegar based sauce (as opposed to red BBQ sauce) and topped with cole slaw. I miss those from my childhood. If I remember correctly they sell them all over the place at little restaraunts along the country roads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion I'll try to get it done. Have arrived in Savannah and will head up the coast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete