Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 15 and 16 Atlanta to Savannah to Washington DC

I've made it to Washington D.C. This is the conclusion of the eastbound leg of this journey. Angie is due in this evening and we'll spend ~a week here enjoying the kids. Chris, Kathleen and Annabel are coming this weekend and we'll have grandbaby time. Looking forward to that.
My intention is to, over the next couple of days, write a recap of my journey embellishing the previous posts. I hope this has been some interest to you. I would like to hear from those of you who have been following me, email, facebook, what ever. Thanks for those who have left comments along the way.
So now to report on the last two days.

Day 15: Atlanta to Savannah, GA
After my post of Day 14 I took a drive around Atlanta it was just to hot to do much else. Its a big city with great architecture and skyscrapers. Not many people on the street again the heat.
My campsite was about 50 miles outside of Atlanta heading to Macon, GA. It was a wonderful State park on a gorgeous lake. This is what I imagine the wilderness was like when the first settlers arrived. Very serene.
Had dinner at the Fair Air restaurant. Reputably the best BBQ in Georgia, at least according to the sign out front.  If this is the best Georgia has to offer I'll do BBQ somewhere else.
The drive to Savannah was interesting in that I tried to take some of the route that Sherman took on his infamous march to the sea. Lots of great country and little towns along the way. Stopped at a road side stand and bought some Gerorgia peaches. Tryed to see one of the plantations along the way, went 8 miles off the main road on to find it closed, bummer.
Drove through Macon, GA, didn't spend much time but has some great history. 
Great little rest stop between Macon, GA and Savannah
Savannah GA, lovely city. It's the first city out side of San Antonio that I acutally felt that tourist where in town. This is a place I would like to spend some time in.
Had a great dinner at the Boar's Head restruent in Shavannah. A bit touristy bout a good meal. Yes that's grits on top of the shrimp.
Walked through an number of the famous squares. Love the hanging moss.
My camp site was 8 miles out on the islands, Skidaway Island to presice. Again another state park, I really enjoyed the state parks. Great dive through the Atalantic marshes.
Day 16: Savannah GA. to Washington DC.
Along day on the road. Rather then spend another night on the road I decided to get on the Interstate and get to DC. I really dislike the Interstate; not much to see other than semi's and other cars all go fast. But it got me here in time to have a martini and dinner with Jennifer and Per.
Did stop in Hilton Head SC, just to see what its all about. Lovely but very congested with vacationers. Nice beach.
OK, that's it for now

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!! You made it. 16 days on the road, amazing! You certainly deserve that Martini. I hope you get a nice break and enjoy family time before you head back. I'm sure you will be very happy to see Angie. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure and I really love the pictures. There are so many interesting places along the southern part of this country, I will be interested to see how the northern route compares. Take care and enjoy your Granddaughter, I’m expecting to see pictures of her, too!

    ReplyDelete