Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day 6 Abilene, TX to Austin, TX via Wichita Falls, TX

Day 6 and I'm in the out skirts of Austin, TX. Accually, it's about 20 miles from the city in a nice rural community of Landor. Most of my day has been on the road, I put in a lot of miles.Today's weather report: hot and humid with the thermometer saying its >100. You can stay out in it for about 5 minutes before you need a change of clothes. 
I left Abilene this morning after visiting the stock yards where my grandfather worked. Not much to see but knowing that this was were he worked was nice. Was to meet with a half aunt to find out more about him but that fell through to my great disappointment. There seems to be a lot of mistrust in the family but that another story.
Got on the road to Wichita Falls, the birth place of yours truly. Haven't been back in 60 some years. Don't know what I expected but thought I should cross it off my bucket list. The dive was long and through a vast flat prerie land. One could see forever with nothing to obstruct the view except a few cattle.
This might be a good time to talk about the Texas road system. They have fairly good roads for the most part with few exceptions,  but those exceptions can kill you. The on and off ramps are abrupt with tight turns. In fact I have missed many because the signage is minimal or non existing. Your suppose to know where your going I take it. The Texans have an abundance of rest stops (picnic areas) along the vast stretches of highway, but you may have to cross the road to get to them (they provide turn offs just for that purpose).The speed limit ranges from 55 to 70 on most of the interstate roads and 80 on US highways. It's lots of fun, but you have to be alert for the arrant deer, cow, horse, jack rabbit or tracker.
Ok, back to traveling. Heading south again I made my way down state to Fort Worth and then on to Austin. This corridor has both large metopolitan areas seperated by rural verging on wilderness, communites. This strip of road is most densley populated I have encountered. Most of the time there are vast stretches between towns. I've never imagined see so many John Deer trackers out in the middle of nowhere lined up waiting for next customer to come in.
So here I am camped for the night and ready to start again tomorrow. I need to mention that tonight for dinner I had a most enjoyable meal at this local establishment It's what I call unique dining experience, oh, but the way most restaurants don't server alcohol; it's a BYOB state.Saves on the DUI law suites I guess.And Dr. Pepper is the states drink of choice. Ok, that it for the night.I'm heading to Corpus Christi tomorrow and the Gulf of Mexico, thank goodness the BP leak is under control.
Be talking with you again soon,
P.S. I'd like to hear from any of you but as you have seen I'm having enough trouble getting anything posted so don't get up set when I don't get back to you immediately or at all.Just want to know someone cares..

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, I've really enjoyed following you on your trip. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. And you've had quite a few exiting ones already! I think you made a typo, though, when you said you haven't been to your birthplace in over 60 years. You better correct that! Sorry you are having such hot weather, but I think most of the country is in a heat wave. It's been in the 90's in San Jose for a couple of days. That probably sounds cold to you! :) Looking forward to seeing more of your trip! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bob, thanks for posting on your trip! However, I do need a cold beverage just to READ this thing. Unfortunate that it's so damned hot this week! I'll think cool thoughts in your direction.

    More photos more photos!!

    Samir

    ReplyDelete